The beginning of the end

2008 is nearly over and it’s time to catch up on our list of Health Social Networks.

With the economic doing a big bungee jump (only I don’t see the rope anywhere) these networks are not going to escape the downfall especially when all of them depend on advertising and not showing any interesting monetizing attempts. The MSN-Multiply deal shows what the big fellows are thinking….



So - How many of them will be here for the 2009 recap?



DailyStrength – We were the first to say that DS are in big trouble. Last week we got the confirmation with its mercy acquisition. From the looks of it DS will stay alive but no efforts will be made to make it any better and eventually (maybe 2010) it will evaporate.

MedHelp – The only member of the top list that is still pushing forward in full speed. MedHelp enjoys being a veteran with long time traffic generators. They will continue to grow providing they figure its worth it…. it’s a great over whole site with a great future.

MDJunction – Brand new look last week and still talking like a marathon runner (which is a nice way to say they don’t have the money to be a sprinter…). MDJunction will be here next year too. How big?? Not sure as they keep surprising me.

HopeCube – Is there a doctor in the house?? I think the patient is dead….

TauMed – Unfortunately I think the doc was already here….
Trusera – Still pushing forward full throttle, too bad traffic doesn’t seem to be picking up… they raised enough money to keep going and I’m sure we’ll keep seeing them in 2009, but not much after.
ICYou – Great site, great looks but again – is anyone using it? doesn’t look like it. The concept of video sharing for health should work but is it enough for a standalone site? I’d be looking for them to join another network and MAYBE survive.

PatientsLikeMePatientsLikeMe are here to stay. They raised enough. They keep growing and brand awareness is something I respect. If PatientsLikeMe goes down this list will too.

Inspire – Not sure about Inspire. The concept is nice but being an underdog in a crashing market is not the safest place to go. I guess we will be seeing Inspire in 2009 but if I were them I’d pray every morning for all the others to crash…

Wellsphere – As long as crazy VCs are still around, WellSphere will still be here. Changing their goals and looks every couple of months and making the most of the $5M they raised… Ommm… look for my WellSphere review in a couple of weeks.

WebTribes – Anyone say Inspire????

I’m Too Young for This – It saddens me to say that but I don’t think they are going to make it.

SugarStats – Good solid site. No chance for a dream exit but it will be here and it will gain strength.
TuDiabetes – Great site. Great leadership. I truly hope they will find the funding to keep it going as there is nobody like them!

dLife – Good solid site. Please read Sugarstats.

Diabetes Mine – Sugarstats, dLife, TuDiabetes. They all seem good but there is no room for all 4. If I were them I’d seek a merger of some kind.

Real Mental Health – Seems to me they’ve been here before I was born (40 this year!) and there is no reason that will change. But… Hey….. how do they do it?

OrganizedWisdom – OW was built to last, I love OrganizedWisdom. This great site and it’s approach to working from home doesn’t seem to be having any financial trouble but the cost of paying for human edited content (the rest of the sites enjoy the free UGC) might kick them in the ass eventually. There is just not enough money in this market!

Healia – Activity seems at an all time low :-( people are just not using Healia despite all their efforts. What are they doing wrong? Can’t really say – maybe I’ll dive deep in the next couple of months. Money is not an issue it just depends on the decision of Meredith Corporation to pull the plug. For now I think they’ll keep it – how long? I’m not sure.
iMedix – We all know what I think of them… but I have to say they are doing their best!

again, as I’ve said with so many others on this list NOBODY IS USING IT. iMedix CEO said they are on the way to raise more funds, that was almost a year ago and nothing happened so I guess 2009 will reveal a mercy funding or sad departure.

WeGoHealthYet another nice site with no members…

Healthchapter – I’m not really sure how this site got here… with an alexa rank of 6M it’s even worth writing about…

CareFlashAnyone say HealthChapter? When your ‘latest on the forums’ in the homepage has a post from Nov 20 and Nov 19…. Well….. DOCTOR.

WeAre.UsWeAreUS are the newest addition to this list. Since they raised they funding just a few months ago I’m betting we’ll see them all year long. It’s a nice site. They do a lot of PR but it is so Inspire with even less traffic. I will give them the benefit of the doubt for being new but as I already said – NO CHANCE.



I really wanted to make a cheerful ‘here comes 2009’ post but I really don’t think there is a reason for such.

GOOD LUCK everyone…..

11 comments:

Matthew Zachary said...

I wouldn't count us out just yet. We've got myriad coals in the fire.

Aaron said...

Hmm, would be very interested in hearing why 'Im Too Young For This Is' will not survive?

Seems to me its very much alive.

'09 may just hold a big surprise for you in regards to i[2]y. Keep your eye on us!

Anonymous said...

I’m Too Young for This – Not going to make it??? I'm not sure where you are getting your facts or information from, but the organization is cash flow positive and has an active and committed board (of which I am a member) that has broad participation from the industry (big pharma, medical, venture capital, brand strategy, etc.)!!!

Anonymous said...

As a member of the LiveStrong Young Adult Alliance I can assure you that I'm Too Young is one of the leaders in the young adult cancer world. Last month, numerous young adult organizations credited I2Y with sending them more than half of the hits their websites were getting. I would be curious to see how people from I2Y would respond to your thought. LiveStrong!

predsgirl said...

I'm too young for this not going to make it? Really? I'd like to say we wouldn't be around - because that would mean young adults didn't have cancer. But we do. And we're here. To stay.

Don't give up on us just yet. We have a lot of things to say and do in the coming years.

Stupid cancer!

Anonymous said...

Based on the fact that the basis for these "assessments" is blatantly absent I'd have to say this is no more reliable than a Vegas betting website. The house is not in your favor...never underestimate the power of a team of empowered cancer survivors.
I'm Too Young For This--- and I'm too old to be wasting my time reading frivolous conjecture. This only fuels our fire.

Carolyn said...

The one thing you haven't taken into account, is that many members of the I'm Too Young For This! organization, were told by our doctors that our cancer would stop us from doing the things we love. We proved our doctors wrong and we will prove you wrong.

What you believe is the end for us, we believe is just the beginning.

KevBurnsJr said...

Don't forget to rain on MedPedia's parade when they launch (very soon).

http://www.medpedia.com

Unknown said...

As long as young adults battle cancer, I2Y is destined to be a mainstay in the worldwide fight for advocacy, strength and hope! -Jay Drayer, CareFlash.com

Jack Barrette said...

You've accomplished a lot - you've got us all talking. We all see feedback as a gift (whether we agree with it or not), so thanks for that. A suggestion or 2 to really keep us all jumping:
1) post on what you think will succeed in our space - is traffic the only metric? WEGO Health doesn't want to be next into the "mine's bigger" race...
2) tell us who you are! one of the best parts of the health2.0/new media/wedowellbydoinggoodinonlinehlealth movement is we face our public; you've got a solid start on the health social media landscape, so take the bow!

healthsocialnetworks said...

Thank you all!

i[2]y - your raid got me thinking ;-). I am obviously missing something and will dig deeper into your site and activity, if someone from your team would like to help me out please contact me.

Jack Barrette - thank you for dropping by.
1. Great Idea. I will share my thoughts in a post soon. thank you.
2. You're right but as I shared before due to some 'unsettled disputes' between my previous employer and me I can't at this time. I hope to be able to soon and agree that this blog will be looked at differently once I do.

Keep coming!